Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Gastroparesis

Nobody likes being sick with the flu... can you imagine having flu-like symptoms every single day of the year? Now imagine three years.. thats what I've been going through.

I have a chronic illness called Gastroparesis. Gastroparesis, also known as delayed gastric emptying, is basically where the stomach does not empty properly. It takes much longer than a healthy stomach would to digest the food. Imagine always being nauseous, or constantly having to make trips to the bathroom because you cannot control your vomiting. You don't have as much energy as everyone else either because your body does not get the right nutrients that it so desperately needs. You watch people all of the time just eat whatever they want to without worrying about will it make them sick or not. Its definitely a challenging disease, but You can keep on fighting and overcome it.

Gastroparesis has no cure as of right now. It is something that I will have to live with every day of my life, but I'll make the most of every situation that is thrown at me. If you have Gastroparesis too, I encourage you to never give up. You are not alone in this disease. We have to keep on fighting and not let this disease control us or define who we are. Yes it will knock us off our feet sometimes, we will stumble but we will get back up again and keep on trying to live our lives the best that we know how. There may be days where we are just in a bad flare up and can't keep anything down, but we will be thankful for all of the good things that are still in our lives.

See, you can look at having Gastroparesis in two ways: as a curse, or as a blessing in disguise. Sure its super easy to let it get you down and everything, I mean we go through alot. But if we decide to try and find something good in every day we can take this disease as a blessing. For instance, this disease has taught me to be more appreciative. I'm thankful for when I do keep down food. I'm thankful for people that have stood by me through everything and have prayed for me.I'm thankful for God, because I know that He won't give me anything that I can't handle. Somehow, He has turned my illness into my testimony that I can now share with others. I'm thankful for any opportunity to share with someone about gastroparesis to spread awareness. I'm thankful for all of the amazing people that this disease has put me in contact with. I love getting to talk to people from all over the world that have Gastroparesis; it is the best feeling to know that you can help someone else going through the same thing and they can help you as well. Your outlook on this disease is everything. Find something to smile about each day, even if its something little.

If you ever need someone to talk to you can talk to me. I know its a challenge balancing health issues with every day life, but we will get through it.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hello my name is Christopher Spearing and I was recently diagnosed with Gastroparesis just over a year ago. It has been really tough on me,my body and my mental state. During this time of my diagnoses I have been in a relationship and man has it been tough. First I lost my job then I lost my place to live it has made it very difficult to keep my relationship going as well. I have tried the medications and the diets. I have started feeling great until about the beginning of this month of March. Bamm I'm hit with flare ups again. I know sut in the same position as before. I'm stressed I feel worthless and am afraid I'm going to lose the best person in my life. I've tried going to work still and picking in garbge CBS or taking extra breaks I just don't know what to do anymore. Do you have any advise. You would be better to reach me at my email spearing.christopher@ Yahoo.com or of course on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete